You’ve mixed all your dips, roasted your turkey, baked your casseroles until they turned golden brown and sautéed your vegetables to perfection. After lots of meal preparation and hours and hours of cooking, throwing that same amount of energy into dessert-making can sound pretty daunting and not too much fun at all. If you’re struggling to muster up enough energy just to think about what to make for dessert after your big holiday meal, you can stop stressing now—holiday dessert-making just got a whole lot easier.
Many holiday cooks think if they spend the time making an extravagant dinner that their dessert display needs to be just as complex and impressive, but this is not the case! It’s easy to forget that when people eat a huge dinner they’re usually starving in anticipation, but they’re typically stuffed by the time the dessert course rolls around. Lucky for home cooks, this means that desserts don’t need to be nearly as rich or plentiful as the fabulous dinner that preceded them.
Holiday staples like pumpkin or pecan pie are already rich, so don’t feel pressured to bake up loads of other heavy or creamy desserts. Instead focus on lighter desserts – they can be just as delicious but won’t weigh you down even more than you already will be after a huge meal! This is where your holiday secret ingredient comes in; when you’re looking for an easy way to lighten up your desserts, using popcorn based holiday recipes is one of the best ways to go.
Popped popcorn is light, tasty and requires virtually zero cooking time, so it’s a good ingredient to have on hand when you want an easy dessert you can make fast. Plus, using savory popcorn in a sweet dessert will give you an amazing sweet-and-salty combination you don’t normally see at the holiday dessert table! Try out this easy and festive recipe for White Chocolate Popcorn Chews to accompany your pies; with buttery popcorn, sweet cranberries and crunchy almonds, it’s sure to become a staple at all of your winter gatherings!
- 1 bag (2.9 ounces) (11 cups popped) Gourmet® Butter Microwave Popcorn
- 1 package (6 ounces) sweetened dried cranberries (1-1/4 cups)
- ½ cup white chocolate morsels
- ½ cup roasted salted whole almonds, chopped
- 1 package (10.5 ounce) miniature marshmallows
- ¼ cup Fleischmann’s® Original-stick
- Spray a 13×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare popcorn according to package directions.
- Remove all unpopped kernels.
- Combine popped corn, cranberries, white chocolate morsels and almonds in large bowl sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Place marshmallows and Fleischmann’s in an 8-cup glass measure.
- Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth when stirred.
- Immediately stir into popcorn mixture; toss until evenly coated.
- Place into your prepared pan.
- Spray hands with cooking spray; press mixture evenly into pan.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into 24 bars.