Memorial Day weekend is all about grilling, meaning your weekend is likely to be filled with a whole lot of delicious burgers and other easy grilling recipes! Before you heat up the grill, read through this burger guide to explore all your options and have the most delicious weekend possible:
Choose Your Meat
Traditional, all-American hamburgers are made from ground beef, but you’re certainly not limited to that. Ground turkey and ground chicken make delicious, leaner beef substitutes that are perfect for anyone looking to keep their eating on the lighter side.
For vegetarians, there are endless veggie burger options out there, from grilled portobello burgers to spicy black bean burgers, that all taste great between two toasted buns.
Add Some Kick
This Memorial Day, go beyond the ketchup and mustard basics for added flavor. Add salsa to turkey burgers or buffalo sauce to chicken burgers for extra spice, or mix up sauces like zesty garlic aioli for your bun. You can top your burger with more interesting things than lettuce and tomato, too; try adding jalapenos, onion rings and even pineapple.
Play with Size and Style
Looking for a monster burger? Roll up extra thick patties. Or, flatten them out for that grilled diner taste. There are tons of different ways to serve up burgers, so get creative! Mini sliders make great appetizers and burgers wrapped in lettuce are perfect for anyone watching their carbs.
Explore Side Options
Burgers and fries are a traditional pairing, but almost any side dish goes great alongside a juicy grilled burger. Picnic favorites include baked beans, macaroni salad, potato salad and grilled veggies. Or, put a spin on traditional French fries with sweet potato fries or spicy grilled potato wedges.
Looking for a twist on the traditional burger this Memorial Day? These Grilled Jalapeno Turkey Burgers are sure to hit the spot.
- PAM® Grilling Spray
- 1 pkg (20 oz each) lean ground turkey
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped nacho jalapeño peppers or mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 hamburger buns or onion Kaiser rolls, split, warmed on grill
- Spray cold grate of outdoor grill with grilling spray.
- Prepare grill for medium heat.
- Combine turkey, green onions, jalapeño peppers, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper in medium bowl; mix well.
- Shape into 5 patties, ½-inch thick.
- Grill patties 6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink in centers (165°F).
- Place patties in buns.
Author Bio: This is a guest post by Meredith K. on behalf of ReadySetEat®. For more Memorial Day dinner ideas and easy weeknight recipes, visit www.readyseteat.com.